Monday, February 27, 2017

Influence


For this months blog... I would like to take a moment to recognize those that came before me. Their inspiration has shaped not only the music that I make, but also the man I am today. Although, I'm only including 2 videos as of now... perhaps I will add more in the future... Here are the '5 Most Influential Musicians' in my life.

John Lennon. Although I have a ton of respect for each and every Beatle, John is my clear favorite. From the gritty soul in his voice, to the poignant words in his perfectly crafted pop songs, John lennon is everything I look for in a musician. My respect & admiration are only amplified by the man he was outside of music, making him, easily, one of my favorite musicians of all time!!


Next, on my list of influence, is the "Man in Black", Johnny Cash. His sound is definitive. Cash's songs are unmistakable and nobody tells a story better. I guess his influence was inevitable because for me, growing up, Johnny Cash's music was unavoidable. After all, you can't drive past Folsom Prison everyday on your way to school and not get the 'Folsom Prison Blues'... eventually.


Without a doubt, my biggest musical influence is my brother, Curtis. He taught me how to play the guitar and introduced me to The Violent Femmes, Pearl Jam, Jeff Buckley, Weezer, Radiohead, Elliot Smith... & countless others. Although I could never really repay the gift of music that he has given me, I try to give it back as often as I can. The song below, "Here in Montana" is my cover of a song written by my brother Curtis Paul & our friend Lee Shawver (another huge musical inspiration in my life).




Another one of my biggest musical influences is Bradley Nowell of Sublime. He was an incredible singer and songwriter, not to mention how much he shredded on the guitar as well. Sublime seamlessly blended a number of different musical styles, creating something totally original, and influencing countless musicians as a result. I am no exception to that influence and although Brad is gone, thankfully his music lives on...



Finally, a singer, songwriter, philosopher & prophet, Robert Nesta Marley. Arguably the most influential singer-songwriter of all time, Bob Marley has influenced my life immensely. As a singer, as a songwriter, as a 'futboler' and as a man Bob's words and philosophy's are something I carry with me every day.


Peace Love & Music

- SGP


No comments:

Post a Comment